Clean Tofu Recipes
By Joanne Lusted
Hands-on time: 15 minutes
Total time: 15 minutes
- 1 12-oz pkg organic extra-firm tofu, sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 2 tbsp pure maple syrup or raw honey
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice, divided
- 1/2 tsp smoked sweet paprika
- Pinch ground cayenne pepper
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 16 oz Swiss chard, trimmed and chopped crosswise into 1-inch ribbons
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Sea salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 oz low-fat feta cheese, crumbled, optional
- Position oven rack in top third of oven and heat broiler on high.
- Line a baking sheet with 2 clean dish towels. Arrange tofu in a single layer on towels and cover with 2 more towels. Top with a second baking sheet and arrange a heavy skillet over top. Set aside for 5 minutes, until excess tofu liquid is released.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk maple syrup, Dijon, 1 tbsp lemon juice, paprika and cayenne. Add tofu to bowl and toss gently to coat. Arrange tofu in a single layer on a parchment-lined baking sheet; reserve remaining Dijon mixture in bowl. Brush half of reserved mixture over top of tofu. Broil on top rack, turning and brushing with remaining mixture halfway through, for 8 to 10 minutes, until golden brown and slightly crisp.
- Meanwhile, prepare chard: Mist a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray and heat on medium-high. Add chard, stir once, then add garlic. Cook, stirring constantly, for 3 minutes, until wilted. Add remaining 1 tbsp lemon juice, salt and pepper. Serve tofu with chard. Garnish chard with cheese (if using).
Nutrients per serving (1/4 of sweet & smoky tofu and 3/4 cup chard) Calories: 136, Total Fat: 5 g, Sat. Fat: 0.3 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 0.3 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.3 g, Carbs: 16 g, Fiber: 3 g, Sugars: 7 g, Protein: 10 g, Sodium: 452 mg, Cholesterol: 0 mg
Zucchini bread, smoothies: 2 educational recipes for kids — The Birmingham News - al.com
These recipes are from Deb Wakefield of P.E.E.R., a nonprofit that I profiled yesterday. She and her peers use them to teach kids to use and like vegetables and fruits in their food. Zucchini Bread. Makes 2 loaves (one to eat- one to share!) Ingredients.