Vegan soft Tofu Recipes
I don’t have a lot to say about this recipe. I mean, there are only so many ways I can say something’s delicious—Mmmmm! Yum! Wow! Awesome! Kid-Friendly!—without sounding like a 4th grader.
The story on these quiches is that I saw a non-vegan recipe for mini crustless quiches in a magazine and wanted to try using silken tofu. So one night when my husband and daughter were both out for the evening, I tried these out as an experiment. I figured if it failed, it was just my dinner at risk. I wasn’t prepared for them to be so good—or for E. to come home and demand a share of them! After initially exclaiming, “Ew, what is that?” she decided that she wanted to try one. And another. And another. And another. I’d made only 12, so my dinner was rapidly disappearing. I had to promise that I’d make a double batch soon, or there would have been none left for D. Yes, I figured he should get a chance at something this tasty.
They’re extremely versatile: Good hot or cold, you can eat them for breakfast, put them in a lunchbox, or serve them for dinner. If you’re throwing a party, try making them in mini muffin cups, and they’ll be the perfect finger food. (Reduce the baking time for smaller quiches.) Try them with different vegetables, but be careful not to add too many or they may not hold together. Most importantly, plan to either hide them from your family or make enough to share!
Well, I guess I did have a lot to say after all.
- olive oil spray
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 cup bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh chives (or one green onion)
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary (or 1/2 tsp. dried, crushed)
- black pepper to taste
- 1 12.3-ounce package lite firm silken tofu, drained of water (see note below)
- 1/4 cup plain soymilk
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch (may sub another thickener such as arrowroot or potato starch)
- 1 teaspoon tahini (preferred) or cashew butter
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2-3/4 teaspoon salt
- generous pinch, optional (adds an eggy taste)
You might also like
Roland Tofu Bean Curd in Water, 19-Ounce (Pack of 24)